Tuesday, September 29, 2015

The Clock Struck-- Doom!

It's come to my attention that I've posted everything from the July 1952 issue of Black Cat Mystery #37 except for this doomed 'n sweaty Rudy Palais tale-- so here ya go! I also added the one page bonus at the end in case that's been overlooked here somehow over the years as well. Check the THOIA Archive for "The Moth", "Doom Ranch" and "Kill No More!" for the other great stories in this one-- yes, another full issue in the bag! And FYI: I'm seriously going to make every attempt possible to get the posts more frequent here again in October, wish me luck-- we'll see ya in a few!






3 comments:

Mr. Cavin said...

Good old Rudy Palais. Everybody's always projectile crying!

I'm pretty sure I've said this before, but the cover of this issue is likely one of my favorite comic book covers of all time. Those lines, those colors, those creeps--the thing is just exquisite.

Grant said...

The Symmes story makes me wonder for the first time whether there's a list of all the horror comic that include those "Fortean" type articles along with their fictional stories. Just the ones I can name are a small list, like the Warren magazines for some time early on, and the Eerie magazines, and the Charlton horror comics and the Gold Key ones. Has anyone ever thought of making such a list?

Brian Barnes said...

Always nice to see Palais stuff and the gallons of flop sweat! Good use of limited color palette here by the colorist, something I usually complain about. That last page, panel 6 with it's close-up/yellowed coloring is cool. Note that the yellow coloring comes in whenever something sinister is happening or mentioned.

This is actually a pretty original tale -- it's old saw stuff -- being locked in a room, vengeance from the dead, imagining your own fate -- but it's put together in a fun way.