Saturday, October 31, 2009

Secret of the Witch's Urn

Trying to find a good story to post on October 31st is always tough (mostly because I used up all the pre-code Halloween tales in my collection on the first THOIA Halloween fest a few years back!) Lucky for me I just bought a copy of the February 1952 issue of The Hand of Fate #9 on ebay and what do you know? It contains not only a cool witchcraft tale, but one with a Halloween setting to boot! I hope everyone had a safe and fun holiday tonight... and scroll down after the story to find out who won the THOIA DRAW ME 2 Contest!









Congratulations to our big winner of the THOIA DRAW ME 2 Contest-- Ness Magana! You gotta love his colorful, over the top, Big Daddy Roth inspired illustration, (not to mention one of the most astounding come from behind / take-over leads I've ever seen in a contest! Wow!) Email me your mailing address and tee shirt size Ness, your prize package will be sent out early next week!
Thanks again to everyone who played and voted (nearly 300 votes!), every submission was incredible, and once again proved how lucky THOIA is to have such a kick ass reader base! And don't fret, there will be more contests before the end of the year... so come back and try again, it's fun!

11 comments:

Runs.with.Ferals said...

Congrats Ness ! I loved the textures of your character~ especially that rough & bumpy suction-cupped tongue !

THE APOCOLYTE said...

Well done, Ness! I voted for you, but I don't think you needed it!

Karswell, why is it that whenever a man has everything going good, it's always the woman who ruins it by putting her sticky fingers all over your Forbidden Urn! Every time!

"I'll just leave my forbidden urn sitting out on the counter next to the box of Cheerios...hopefully my wife won't touch it...oops, she touched it...darn..."

Unknown said...

Hey hey, hot stuff! Nice work!
All the zombies in the graveyard are really hot for this gal's brains.

Mike H said...

Awesome story and an awesome contest! Congrats to Ness!

If anyone wants the original artwork (such as it is) to mine, I'll send it to them. It's the torn cheek one.

ZantiMissKnit said...

I want the original artwork to Mike's submission!

goblin said...

A Happy belated Halloween to all my fellow THOIA readers! I hope you had fun yesterday and didn't run into any ghosts, ghouls, demons, witches or some fellow called Michael Myers.

And, of course, congratulations to Ness for winning the drawing contest! Good job!

Anonymous said...

ACE COMICS ARE SLOWLY BECOMING MY FAVORITES THAT YOU POST, THE ART AND STORYTELLING ARE JUST SO GOOD SOMETIMES AND THIS IS ANOTHER GREAT EXAMPLE.

KUDOS TO WINNER NESS TOO!

sfdoomed said...

"Why...why you're a strange, ugly woman. You look like a...a witch!"

What a sweet thing to say to a woman calling out for your help.

Huge congrats to Ness. I voted for the severed head, but your piece is also first class. I think all of them were worthy of the prize!

Anonymous said...

Good story, and I'm glad Ness won. His entry was my favorite.

Mr. Karswell said...

Some contest, eh? I wonder if we can double up on the entries and votes in the next one? It's coming you know, so keep checking back, you don't wanna miss out!

Bill the Butcher said...

Why do these murderers never think to encase their Magical Urns in a nice block of concrete and throw said block into the middle of the ocean? Sad!