Sunday, April 12, 2009

Black Dust

Some of you THOIA readers know about my undying love for Larry Blamire and his incredible 1950’s-esque comedy horror/sci-fi film tribute The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra. But what some of you may not realize is that yesterday Larry graciously plugged THOIA on his brand spankin’ new Bantam Street blog (click HERE!) and of course now I'm uncontrollably grinning like a fleshless skull. So to show my continued appreciation today I’m posting another western horror tale for Larry and his posse, this one from the March – April 1953 issue of Skeleton Hand #4 (ooo, "skeleton" …ironic, ain’t it?)








And learn more about Larry Blamire's own great weird westerns by clicking HERE! NEXT: The other Harvey tale that I promised ya!

++++++++++++++++++++++
PLUS: A Prospector Pete Bonus!

(Totally forgot where I scanned this from--- sorry!)

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

IT HAS BEEN AGES SINCE I WAS THE FIRST COMMENTOR AROUND HERE! COOL TO WAKE UP TO ANOTHER FUN HORROR WESTERN TALE. THE SPLASH PAGE COULDVE BEEN A LITTLE MORE INTICING BUT THE STORY MOVED QUICK AND THE DUST SPIRIT WAS ACTUALLY QUITE SPOOKY. I LOVED THE UNINTENTIONAL HUMOR TOO, ESPECIALLY FROM BETTY. THE VERY LAST PANEL COULD BE READ A NUMBER OF DIFFERENT WAYS. NAUGHTY BETTY. I BET LARRY LOVES THIS ONE.

HAPPY EASTER KARS, GREAT TO HAVE YOU BACK!!

Anonymous said...

"Whiskey 15 cents." Take me back to 1953!

Well, if that Prospector Pete page is pre-code, then that's a pre-Patterson appearance of Bigfoot there, ain't it?

Prof. Grewbeard said...

some Dude(ttes) never learn..

i like these here weird westerns. the way the figure of Black Dust just hovered and watched reminded me the giant demonic presence in the Hammer film "Quatermass & the Pit".

Chuck Wells said...

I was just reading a few early Kid Colt issues today and then these western posts helped tie the whole day together.

Yippey-ki-yay!

Anonymous said...

Too much exposition, not enough action. I was hoping the black dust would eat the girl.

Francesca Paolucci said...

Horror-Western rules!

Kitty LeClaw said...

Weird tribal dance that lasted for many months to drive the cattlemen away... What's so mysterious about THAT?

Duhhmb broad.

Horror pariah said...

I think that's meant to be a bear.

Enjoyed it more for it's art than anything; really reminds me of West Texas. And the Dust-monster vaguely reminds me of 'Diablo the smoke monster from the 5th dimension' from a Googam era Atlas monster comic.

Loved the innuendo in the last panel, too. I agree that Larry would probably like it.

Anonymous said...

Does a bear leave that kind of footprint?!

Wait... oops, sorry. Wrong blog.

Unknown said...

Betty is some dude. I like how the old man appears, says some stuff, and doesn't do a damn thing. The couple in this story and the couple in the last story ought to have had their fates reversed.

Anonymous said...

Now I know where the smoke monster in Lost came from; thanks!