Monday, November 3, 2008

Doomed

For the next four days we’ll being looking at Ajax; Farrell’s Voodoo #15 in its entirety. At least I think it’s #15, my copy is missing the cover, plus GCD has no real additional info on it, and I am forced to trust the word of the dude who sold it to me. Anyone know for sure? What I do know is this is one totally crazy, over the top issue loaded with page after soaking page of SOTI inspired gruesomeness.

So first let’s bring on the beheadings—SCHLUNK!!








TOMORROW: Nightmare Island!

++++++++++++++++++++

A few weeks ago, St Louis MO superstars SHAME CLUB rocked the CMJ Fest in NYC while on tour promoting their ass kickin’ COME ON release (now available through Small Stone Records.) While pummeling the crowd with their big boogie hooks and vicious wall of volume, lead singer / guitarist Jonathan Lumley proudly sported his THOIA tee shirt, which as many of you know makes for excellent Devil Horn Deluxe Rock ‘n Roll stage wear.

Find out more about Shame Club (and tinnitus) by clicking HERE.
+++++++++++++++++++++++
HALLOWEEN '08 COSTUME CONTEST MURDERATHON WINNERS!
John Rozum, creator of Milestone Comics' Xombi, and Vertigo's Midnight, Mass. turned the camera on his own offspring, told them to attack one another, and what happened next was a pop culture collision of the purest, highest order! As John describes from his awesome blog: “Daphne went as the Hawaiian Witch Doctor from the classic "Scooby-Doo" episode with Mano Tiki Tia. Dash went as an ARC Trooper from "Star Wars: The Clone Wars." Both costumes were entirely handmade except for Dash's helmet.”
Kudos to our winners: Daphne, Dash, and John! Your prizes await, please contact me at Karswell@hotmail.com. And as everyone can now see--- Daphne and Dash get to continue the battle on the THOIA banner for the rest of this week too! And please visit JOHNROZUM.COM for more. Applause to all who played, (or tried too.) And thanks again to Mike Howlett for judging as well!

12 comments:

AndyDecker said...

"Whomp" indeed!

Now that one was gruesome. Sadistic and deranged killers, sadistic and deranged guards and a reporter salivating over cut off heads. And the story even had a terrible punchline.

If I will ever buy two attack dogs, I will also call them Dante and Inferno :-)

Anonymous said...

The one thing --PUFF -- that I couldn't figure out was how Le Bras could -- CHUCKLE -- read Marcel's mind on Page Five. SIGH.

Mr. Karswell said...

>If I will ever buy two attack dogs, I will also call them Dante and Inferno :-)

Maybe each word tattooed on each of your knuckles until then?

>how Le Bras could -- CHUCKLE -- read Marcel's mind on Page Five.

I don't know, call me silly but maybe anything can happen in comics?

Oh, we have a winner for the Murderathon Costume contest but I've been extra busy this weekend (and this morning), but hope to have the news ready in a post either later today or tomorrow.

Everyone have a fun Halloween weekend?

Anonymous said...

You know my first contact with this story? It was in a black and white magazine called "Weird" that came out in 1966. Believe it or not, my dad and I cuddled up and he read this and other gruesome and bizarre stories in this issue to me. I had paid 35 cents, I think it was, for this, and I am not sure why he read it. Maybe I had left it laying around, and he picked it up and started thumbing through it, and I asked him to read it out loud. Funny thing to me is that when I was a kid, the beheadings and all that meant little to me. They were stock horror conventions. Only years later would all this brutality have any kind of impact on me. The older I get, the more aghast I am at cruelty in movies and comics, let alone society. But it's all good, at this point, as far as '50s horror goes. I am past the half century mark myself, and I I have gotten one speeding ticket and one parking ticket in my whole life. Not bad for a kid set up in fine fashion to be deranged by the things he read -- or had read aloud to him -- in his misspent childhood.

Mr. Cavin said...

I love the way the dogs hated and distrusted the severed heads. That was a nice, realistic touch. Dogs are always so noble and territorial. And they can't fu*kin' stand severed heads.

Hope everybody had a nice Halloweekend. Or not nice, if that was the goal.

Mr. Karswell said...

What's Halloween like in Viet Nam Mr. C?

Anonymous said...

SOMETHING I NEVER THOUGHT I'D EVER SAY ABOUT ANYTHING ON THOIA, THE BANNER LOOKS CUTE! HA! CONGRATULATIONS TO THE DAPHE AND DASH AND TO JOHN ROZUM I WANT TO SAY I LOVED MIDNIGHT MASS!

OKAY, TODAYS STORY. VERY COOL, THAT IS ONE DEMENTED SPLASH PAGE. AND THOSE SWINGING HEADS ON CORDS WAS A REALLY NICE BELIEVABLE TWIST. LOOKING FORWARD TO THIS WHOLE ISSUE

Anonymous said...

The convicts fight the dogs directly in front of Marcel's hut and they worry that their barking might wake him up?! That's crazy indeed!

Anyway, I really enjoyed the story. Here's hoping that the rest of Voodoo #15 will be as grisly as this one.

Mr. Cavin said...

<< What's Halloween like in Viet Nam Mr. C? >>

Well, I had only been in town for about nine days when Halloween happened last year, and I remember that there were a few adult parties at the expat nightclubs as well as some thematic products in the swanker pan-Asian malls. Other than that, there really isn't a Halloween here. Even among the community I represent, the "Halloween" celebration I went to in 2007 was on the Saturday before the actual holiday (and I had to teach everyone how to bob for apples). I did drink a quantity of "snake wine" (which is grain alcohol infused with cobra, see here), which tasted like "snake gasoline". One eye wouldn't focus all the following day.

This year we got out of town, though. I spent my birthday (and Halloween) tramping through the temple complexes in the Angkor region of Cambodia. See here. I'll send in a photo once they surface. Mine will not be as good as the one I linked; it rained on us just about every minute we were there.

Speaking of photos, congratulations to Daphne and Dash for winning the seasonal contest with such panache.

Marc Burkhardt said...

ACtually, I liked the punchline.

The character was so ... wait for it ... DEADpan.

Sorry.

Anonymous said...

That was so over-the-top i had to head for the hills....

Prof. Grewbeard said...

PUFF! PUFF! PUFF!

i think that French police captain MADE THE WHOLE THING UP!